As improvements in technology make it easier for people to work remotely, I find that more and more of my friends are working from home. I, myself, started my journey working from home at the end of 2018, and have absolutely loved it.
Here are my top 5 reasons why working from home is where it’s at:
- Flexibility: Working from home allows me to arrange my daily schedule exactly the way I want. I can work for an hour, get the kids to school, work for another hour, get a workout in and then work the rest of the afternoon. My days are never the same, and my flexible schedule allows me to switch it up when I need.
- Efficiency: This may be shocking to an employer with an “old-school” mentality, but I find that I get just as much done working from home as I would if I worked in an office all day. I am so much more efficient with my time, and I find that I don’t waste time chit chatting with my co-workers or getting caught up in issues that are not directly related to my work.
- No Dress Code: As someone who often had to wear a full suit to work, I so love to roll into the “office” in my workout clothes or destroyed denim. I also find that I save a lot of time and energy by not having to get myself ready in the morning. I just walk downstairs, pour myself a cup of coffee and get to work!
- No Sick Days: Not feeling great? Working from home allows me to literally lie in bed with my laptop if I need. I don’t have to worry about rearranging my schedule in the office or feel bad about missing work. I am also not worried about getting someone sick or someone else getting me sick. As a busy mom, I have no time to be sick!
- Work-Life Balance: For many of us who have experienced “mom guilt” about returning to work after having kids, working from home can make you feel closer and more connected to your family. Usually my kids will come home from school and play while I am still working in my home office. Although this can be a little distracting at times, I love knowing they are close and not stuck at after-school care waiting for me to pick them up.
If you think you can swing the discipline it takes to work from home, I highly recommend it. I find that I am much more happy, motivated and successful in my new work-from-home position.